Industrial engineering was one of the earliest fields to use simulation in the study, evaluation and optimization of complex manufacturing activities. Industrial engineers use computer simulations (specially discrete event simulation) along with wide mathematical modelling and computational methods to determine the best possible design for production and distribution systems. With the integration of artificial intelligence, agents, virtual reality and other innovative modelling techniques, simulation has become an essential decision support tool in many industries such as automotive, aerospace and electronics.
- Virtual manufacturing technologies
- Stochastic modelling and simulation
- Intelligent design and manufacturing
- Performance evaluation and optimisation
- Simulation in logistics and supply chain design